The concept of home staging, on its surface, is a fairly simple one. Show every room to its best advantage. Easier said than done, right? So, hire a pro or DIY? Whichever option you choose, becoming familiar with home staging techniques can definitely help throughout the process of getting a home ready to be put on the market.
- Reduce clutter. Pare down furnishings and belongings to make the space feel larger.
- Keep walls and decor fairly neutral.
- Minimize personal items and family photos. Potential buyers will find it easier to imagine themselves living in the home if the current owners' personalities are not obvious.
- Let in as much natural light as possible.
- Use fragrant candles in main rooms and add fresh flowers when possible, especially for an open house.
- Don't forget curb appeal! Trim shrubs, plant flowers or plants with colorful foliage. Keep grass neat. Garages should be organized and porches and walks should be edged and swept.