Friday, May 1, 2009

Fire Up The Grill for A Healthy Meal!

I'm not a vegetarian. But, I'm not a big fan of meat either. I can go long stretches without eating meat and never really miss it. My family, on the other hand, all pretty much expect to see some kind of meat on the menu for dinner every night. Although we do occasionally have a veggies-only dinner, firing up the grill always means it's time to cook meat, chicken or fish. I'm afraid there will be a mutiny if the smell of hickory smoke and charcoal fill the air and no meat appears on their plates when it is time to sit down!
But, look at all these beautiful choices for grilling this summer! It is a feast for the eyes as well as the palate!

The brilliant colors make it clear that there is a huge range of nutrients to be had in these grilled selections!

A little smokiness in tomatoes and asparagus just make them that much more flavorful!

Mushrooms such as portobellos can taste very similar to meat when cooked over hot coals with a little oil or marinade brushed on. Multi-colored peppers remain sweet and a little crisp when lightly grilled!



And now for dessert! These would certainly melt in your mouth for a healthy sweet treat!

I am going to try out an all-veggie and fruit grill night this summer and see what my family thinks. Maybe they will surprise me and love it! But, maybe I will have some burgers waiting in the wings just in case.

Photos by:

2 comments:

  1. I love grilled any thing but, grilled peaches are divine!

    If you have yet to try Grilled Romaine lettuce, you should.
    -Cut them once, length wise.
    -Drizzle with olive oil (or Pam olive) and sea salt; everything tastes better with 'Real' salt.
    -Grill until toasted grill lines appear.
    -Serve as is or add Ranch dressing.

    ...So good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these look all so delicious. And believe it or not, I never thought of grilling corn before, and I am a vegetarian. Can't wait for my next grill meal now.

    ReplyDelete